Pork producers across South Africa are offered an opportunity to participate in the Envarto pork carcass competition, held in collaboration with the South African Meat Industry Company (SAMIC) and sponsored by the South African Pork Producers’ Organisation (SAPPO). The competition will run from April to June 2023 at different abattoirs across all nine provinces. The list of participating abattoirs will depend on entries received and specific dates for slaughtering will be confirmed once entries for the competition have closed on 22 March 2023.
The purpose of the competition is:
- to promote pork among South African consumers; and
- to promote carcass quality of South African pork through expert feedback to producers.
- Encourage the production of high-quality meat in with regard to the market needs.
- Demonstrate the classification system and the advantages thereof to producers.
- Demonstrate to producers that the desired carcass characteristics are visible on live animals.
Entries (valued at R75 per entry) are free this year as this is sponsored by the South African Pork Producers’ Organisation.
Competition categories for single carcasses are:
- Porkers: 20 kg–55 kg
- Cutters: 56 kg–65 kg
- Light baconers: 66 kg–80 kg
- Heavy baconers: 81 kg–110 kg
- Super pigs: Above 110 kg*
Finalist are announced in each category per abattoir, per province, and from these a national winner is announced at the SAMIC Annual Carcass Competition prize-giving function in October. Animals can be taken directly to any participating abattoirs as submitted in the entry form.
Download entry form or complete it online here to enter the Envarto pork carcass competition. Entry forms are also available from www.envarto.co.za. For further enquiries, contact Lené van der Walt at email@example.com or 060 542 1769.
The South African Pork Producers’ Organisation (SAPPO) coordinates industry interventions and collaboratively manages risks in the value chain to enable the sustainability and profitability of pork producers in South Africa.